- At the nonprofit Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. Our employees are empowered to open minds, shape decisions and offer solutions. We encourage intellectual honesty, innovation, diversity, and mutual respect, and our analysis elevates the debate, wherever it takes place.
- Urban’s greatest asset is our people. We strive to attract and cultivate a vibrant, creative, and diverse community. Our employees drive Urban’s mission through entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership, effective communication, results-orientation, and relationship cultivation. Our success depends on engaging individuals who possess and value these attributes.
- The office of Technology and Data Science (Tech) is looking for a talented full-stack Python programmer to join the Research and Web Technology team. Tech is a team of outstanding technology professionals who provide Urban with solutions that employ state of the art technologies as well as project/product management practices including Lean, Agile and Design Thinking.
How you’ll contribute:
- The research and web technology team is made up of polyglot programmers who use tools such as Python to translate public policy and proposals into algorithms and code. The Python programmer position requires a person with both experience in maintaining, modifying and developing sophisticated existing Django code-bases, and also in developing new tools. Additionally, ideal candidate will possess the ability to effectively communicate results, plans and problems back to non-technical staff.
- Work closely with researchers and other stakeholders to gather specifications, requirements, and use cases and create new research web applications, data tools, and front-end interfaces.
- Create new applications, tools, and interfaces and build deployment pipelines
- Ensure code complies with community standards and develop and maintain solid documentation.
- Maintain and update existing web applications, data tools, and interfaces.
- Work with other team members in problem-solving and debugging.
What you’ll bring:
- The successful candidate will:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, such as successful completion of a web development training program.
- Have at least 2 years of experience in a professional or academic environment.
- Demonstrate solid experience with the technology we use (Python, Django, Django REST Framework, MySql, NGINX, Boto3); emphasis will be placed on experience in designing, building, and maintaining REST APIs using Django DRF;
- Exhibit knowledge of application development and server setup on Linux or OSX environments including command line tools like Bash.
- Posses exposure to container technologies such as Docker.
- Have experience using web services and RESTful APIs and working with multiple data formats such as YAML, XML, JSON, CSV.
- Demonstrate proficiency with version control such as Git.
- Display proficiency with agile development and management principles, methodology, and practices.
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Have an enthusiasm and dedication for Urban’s mission to create evidence-based research to enable informed policy debate.
- Display a passion for technology, be an evangelist for open source, and possess a high level of curiosity to keep well informed in the latest technologies.
What you’ll experience:
- Working in the Nation’s Capital, the epicenter of public policy among a network of policy experts, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about and work with great colleagues who are smart, mission-driven, and collaborative. You will blend academic rigor with on-the-ground collaboration, be encouraged and supported to fulfill your potential through meaningful work that matters, and enjoy a welcoming workplace free from harassment, discrimination, and intolerance.
- Also, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage, competitive paid time off allowance, and eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan and reimbursable commuting expense program.
- The Urban Institute strives to be a vibrant, creative community of skilled and committed people who bring to their work a whole range of different experiences. Accordingly, the Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
- The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer — Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
- To learn more about the Urban Institute and its work, please visit www.urban.org.