Supply Chain Analyst Co-op
Transportation & Customer Experience
Supervisor, Business Analytics
Supervisor, Customer Experience
United States Cold Storage (USCS) and its predecessor companies have been providing temperature-controlled storage services to the food industry since 1899. Today USCS is a leading national public refrigerated warehouse (PRW) operator with 42 facilities located in 13 states and employing over 3,600 service professionals. USCS offers over 371 million cubic feet of temperature-controlled warehouse and distribution space. USCS customers include many of the top American and International food companies and USCS is among the top five largest PRW companies in the USA.
The Customer Experience Team engages with strategic customers to deliver positive and consistent customer engagement. The Transportation department is responsible for creating solutions for our nationwide system of carriers and customers.
Both departments are responsible for the governance of customer data, proactive solution design, and project management to strengthen and enhance customer and carrier relationships.
This position is a co-op for current University students only. It is a temporary position from June – December 2020. Students will need to take a semester off or reduce classes 1-2.
The co-op program offers an opportunity to be a contributing member in USCS’s transportation and customer experience department. Co-ops gain hands on analytics experience and expand their understanding of a 3PL’s supply chain function. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside our professional team of analysts and be exposed to a corporate office environment. The co-op will learn much about the frozen food warehousing and transportation industry by helping USCS create solutions for our nationwide system of carriers and customers.
· Prepare weekly and monthly reports to be sent to our customers and management. Reports often use metrics such as “Gross margin,” “On Time Performance,” “Casepick Percentage,” “Miles per truck,” “Fill Rate,” and “Cost per Order.”
- Gather and synthesize data to create customer specific reports
- Analyze and create sales reports and market feedback from internal and external sources to identify key issues, trends, opportunities, and growth for use in business development and program management
- Identify, report, and monitor relevant KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
· Report and track our carriers’ performance and trends through Carrier Scorecards. USCS hires outside carriers to deliver to consignees (such as Target, Walmart, Kroger, etc.). Carriers’ performance and rates are used to determine contracted volumes of freight. Our carrier scorecards are key to measure that performance.
· Prepare PowerPoint and Excel presentations for our customers by collecting and analyzing data from reports and local databases. These reports are often from scratch and do not have instructions. They require more ingenuity from the co-op in the procurement, layout, and design.
· Some customer reports include EDI delay codes and transaction failures. Co-op is responsible for communication to managers to acquire missing delay codes to send back to our customer.
- Respond to RFPs (request for proposals), Proposals, and Business Reviews for customers
- Perform analysis and conduct research to provide data for insight into key customers and the cold chain industry
- Utilize data from disparate systems including TMS (Transportation Management System), WMS (Warehouse Management System), CRM (Customer Relationship Management), and Tableau to provide cohesive reporting
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office including:
o Excel – Moderate to advanced preferred
o PowerPoint – Moderate
o Word – Moderate
o Outlook – Beginner is okay
· Ability to clearly communicate – written and spoken
· GPA of 3.0 or higher
· Reliable mode of transportation
· Willing to move for 6 months if necessary to be able to commute to work
· US Citizen/No sponsorship or concurrent classwork required
· Detail and customer service oriented
· Organizational skills
· Effective written and oral communication
· Ability to analyze and solve problems
· Excellent mathematical skills
· Data analysis experience
· Excellent communication skills
· Customer-centric with the ability to balance both customer benefits and business financials effectively
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear.
- Frequently use a computer keyboard
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment with limited travel.
The noise level in the work area is usually moderate.