Description and Requirements
This position is responsible for supporting the operations within the corporate innovation function managing the effective running of the operations programs within Vertex’s Innovation team. This done through effective partnering with the innovation teams working on projects both internally and externally to support the portfolio delivery model and do so within governance structures, communications within innovation and within the organization, metrics capture, and reporting, enable access to data for testing needs and coordinates testing cycles, and manages idea campaigns. This role will report into the Manager of Innovation Operations.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Work with internal teams on innovation initiatives.
- Track and report on innovation metrics and business impact on a regular basis.
- Establish and execute a communication plan that includes stakeholders and innovation team to collaborate closely on a regular basis.
- Facilitate program-level processes and execution, identify and manage dependencies and risks, and escalate impediments.
- Take accountability for the program execution and delivery of work (schedule/capacity).
- Monitor and report on program health, to provide transparency on program delivery of value.
- Track standards and communicate metrics to team, management and any impacted stakeholders
- Support best practices by scouting and standardizing market research methods for novel ideas and insights; strategic innovation; promoting open innovation; and introducing group tools and processes that encourage creative thinking.
- Support large-scale innovation activities and events (ex. hackathons, prototype events, and similar showcase technology events)
- Lead or participate in other projects or duties.
- Occasional travel required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong project management skills. Must be able to provide structure, be proactive, navigate ambiguity, manage stakeholders, hold others accountable without authority, and create appropriate professional collateral (e.g., decks, white papers, design briefs, RFPs, project plans, etc.)
- Track record of taking action “getting things done” with minimal guidance
- Excellent communication, active listening, critical thinking, and presentation skills
- Passionate about the corporate innovation industry, following trends, and attending events.
- Ability to work and manage projects independently.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Experience working with teams comprised of a variety of skills (customer development, experience design, software development, marketing, project management, education, technical operations)
- Ability to manage multiple complex, high visibility or high impact projects simultaneously.
- Ability to network with key contacts outside own area of expertise and create formal networks with key decision makers.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Innovation Management or equivalent
- Zero (0) years plus experience working in an innovation or product development environment required – at an innovation consulting firm, a design firm and/or within a corporate innovation team
- Prior experience working in Startup/Incubator environment, Product Teams, Digital Agencies (Design Think/Agile), Corporate Innovation, and/or Strategy Consulting preferred
- PMP and/or Scrum certifications or equivalent work experience required
- Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Other Qualifications – The Winning Way behaviors that all Vertex employees need in order to meet the expectations of each other, our customers, and our partners
Communicate with Clarity – Be clear, concise and actionable. Be relentlessly constructive. Seek and provide meaningful feedback.
Act with Urgency – Adopt an agile mentality – frequent iterations, improved speed, resilience. 80/20 rule – better is the enemy of done. Don’t spend hours when minutes are enough.
Work with Purpose – Exhibit a “We Can” mindset. Results outweigh effort. Everyone understands how their role contributes. Set aside personal objectives for team results.
Drive to Decision – Cut the swirl with defined deadlines and decision points. Be clear on individual accountability and decision authority. Guided by a commitment to and accountability for customer outcomes.
Own the Outcome – Defined milestones, commitments and intended results. Assess your work in context, if you’re unsure, ask. Demonstrate unwavering support for decisions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Vertex is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified a