Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We’re the company behind the world’s fastest satellite internet service, with technology that’s helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We’re looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You’ll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world’s first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
As a successful Industrial Engineer Data Science Intern, you will use your extensive knowledge of data management to pull records from internal test databases, WIP trackers, and Oracle records. You will aggregate, distill, and communicate opportunities for improvement to reduce cost, improve performance, and optimize capacity. This role will examine both data generated from tested unit performance and manufacturing processes. For example, you may be challenged to interface with design engineering providing solutions for poor yields as well as manufacturing teams to reduce queue variability and wait times. A Viasat Industrial Engineer Data Science Intern will be able to effectively use Juypter and other data analysis and visualization tools to quantitatively assess current production and business systems. For manufacturing processes based improvements, you will also need to quantify your ideas with Discrete Event simulation. This role demands an innate aptitude and understanding of data analysis techniques supported by a holistic knowledge of continuous improvement and manufacturing operations.
* Background in Industrial Engineering
* Currently pursuing a degree bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Data Science, Operations Research, or similar degree.
* Desire to learn and continuously adapt to developing software modules and methods.
* Programming expertise in Python
* Experience in data cleansing, statistics/machine learning, and data visualization packages (i.e. pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib, seaborn, plotly, etc.)
* Strong statistics/SPC background with an understanding of machine learning
* Proven ability to internalize ownership and responsibility for idea generation
* Knowledge and historical application of Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and other Industrial Engineering methodologies
* Able to commit to a 10-12 week summer internship
* Programming experience in R, MATLAB, or other Data Science specific languages