Part-time Adult Literacy Coordinator (DuPage)
About the Organization
Founded in 1976, The Vietnamese Association of Illinois (VAI) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that focuses on serving diverse communities of all ethnicities and religions, fostering unity, and promoting Vietnamese American identity.
Since its founding, VAI has served thousands of Vietnamese Americans and other ethnic communities through facilitating resettlement and citizenship, building community, seeking employment, addressing healthcare issues, raising political awareness, providing educational opportunities, addressing multigenerational issues for seniors and youth, establishing and expanding businesses, and strengthening cultural heritage. VAI’s current services include adult literacy and civic education instruction, immigration and legal aid, senior in-home care, and youth programs.
About the Role
Job Title: Adult Literacy Coordinator (DuPage)
Reports To: Development and Communications Manager
The Adult Literacy Coordinator works part-time within VAI’s Civic Education and Engagement department, based out of VAI’s DuPage office. This position works with their Chicago counterpart in coordinating ESL and Civic Education classes, as well as assists in recruiting and maintaining an active volunteer and client database. The Adult Literacy Coordinator is responsible for all reporting pertaining to existing grants in the area of ESL and Civic Education in and near the DuPage region. In addition to these areas, the Adult Literacy Coordinator supports staff members in other departments to build and develop programming relevant to ESL, civic education, and civic engagement, including but not limited to Get-Out-the-Vote initiatives. This position reports to the Development and Communications Manager.
· Facilitates students’ citizenship interview preparation
o Civics education
o Mock interviews
o Pre and post assessment to track students progress –covers all components
· Recruit new students and volunteer instructors
· Provide instructors and volunteers with new training methodology
· Problem-solve/managing volunteer teacher needs
· Manage ESL materials/maintaining
· Customize lessons for teachers and curricula to students as needed
· Volunteer management, appreciation, and engagement
· Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Excellent writing and communication skills with strong research skills; grant writing experience preferred
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited university
· At least one year of experience working in advocacy and group facilitation, preferably in community-based organizations
· Ability to translate stories from the field for use in VAI advocacy work
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
· Willingness to learn and contribute to growing the department, including some grant writing
· Ability to work collaboratively and build consensus across diverse sets of stakeholders
· Ability to multi-task effectively, including having strong planning and organizing skills and the ability to work well under pressure
· Vietnamese-speaking ability strongly preferred
This is a part-time position based at VAI’s DuPage office, located at 640 E St. Charles Rd., Suite #203, Carol Stream, IL 60188. This role is scheduled at 20 hours per week. The candidate must on occasion, have the ability and willingness work outside the 9am-5pm Monday-Friday to attend important meetings, trainings, and events.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample, to Tuyet Ngo at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Part-Time Literacy Coordinator – [Insert Your Name]” as the email subject line.
VAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and equitable environment. VAI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.