At Vital Strategies we value learning and personal development which is why we believe it is important to mentor future professionals who will grow personally and professionally and create impact in the public health sector. As a Vital intern you will have the chance to develop skills and contribute to our initiatives through engaging, meaningful work assignments that can help jump start your career in public health.
This consultancy will support Vital Strategies’ Data Impact Program. This program, part of the Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative, collaborates with governments to expand the use of data to enhance public health policymaking. A key area of technical assistance offered through the program is the development of digital tools, such as dashboards and data portals, that make critical data sources more visual, more interactive, and more accessible to public health decision-makers and stakeholders.
The intern will draft materials that summarize best practices for the development and use of digital tools for public health decision-making. The intern will interact with other Vital staff and external stakeholders to identify best practices, to draft materials that translate best practices into actionable material for public health decision-makers and analysts in a wide range of (largely low- and middle-income) countries, and to present the materials to Vital staff for their use in digital tools projects.
- Identify best practices for the development and use of digital tools for public health decision-making:
- Interact with internal and external experts to learn about best practices.
- Identify and catalog existing resources and digital tools that showcase best practices (desk review)
- Assess and annotate public health digital tools that reflect best practices
- Draft materials that translate best practices into actionable items by general audiences. Materials could be of different types and formats such as:
- Checklist and job aides
- Guides and protocols
- Training documents
Education and Work Experience
- Pursuing a graduate degree in Data Science, Epidemiology, Public Health, Public Policy
- Experience developing technical materials for general audiences
- Experience with data interpretation, analysis, and use
- Experience working with international NGOs and governments preferred
- Prior work or internship experience at a global health/public health non-profit a plus
Skills and Knowledge
- Clear and effective writing to communicate technical concepts
- Familiarity with platforms for manipulating, analyzing, and visualizing data
- Basic knowledge of public health indicators