At Vital Strategies we value learning and personal development which is why we believe it is important to mentor future professionals who will grow personally and professionally and create impact in the public health sector. As a Vital intern you will have the chance to develop skills and contribute to our initiatives through engaging, meaningful work assignments that can help jump start your career in public health.
We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding of social and cultural issues can help make Vital’s work more inclusive. All internships at Vital Strategies and Resole to Save Lives are paid opportunities. We encourage people of all racial, economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, and gender expressions to apply.
Vital Strategies recently launched a new platform to monitor and track tobacco marketing activities in a few priority countries. The collected data is turned into policy briefs and used as technical assistance tools for local governments. The Research Intern will primarily support the monitoring of new data and evaluation of its use, as well as provide some research and writing support for our expansion into Mexico. The intern will report to Sharan Kuganesan, Program Manager of Tobacco Control.
- Work with an international research team to conduct data analysis that includes data cleaning, merging of data sets, univariate and multivariate data analysis and some writing based on analysis.
- Conceptualize and prepare graphs and spreadsheets to interpret and visualize data.
- Assist with technical writing of monthly situation reports and briefs for sharing with policymakers, partners and stakeholders.
- Support the team in Mexico to implement and disseminate findings, when needed.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate student pursuing a degree in public health, or the social sciences, such as social psychology, public policy, political science, economics or related field
Skills and Knowledge
- Fluent in Spanish
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and sound knowledge of SPSS
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively in an international team environment with solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Preferred skills: Knowledge of data visualization using Excel, Tableau, or other tools
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample.