Wakefern Food Corp. is the largest retailer-owned cooperative in the United States and supports its co-operative members’ retail operations, trading under the ShopRite®, Price Rite®, The Fresh Grocer®, Dearborn Markets®, and Gourmet Garage® banners.
Employing an innovative approach to wholesale business services, Wakefern focuses on helping the independent retailer compete in a big business world. Providing the tools entrepreneurs need to stay a step ahead of the competition, Wakefern’s co-operative members benefit from the company’s extensive portfolio of services, including innovative technology, private label development, and best-in-class procurement practices.
The sustainability and social responsibilities for food retail companies in today’s landscape amid growing environmental and social challenges are more critical than ever. From combating hunger insecurity and serving the communities in which we operate to being responsible stewards to the environment, Wakefern’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives are founded in the belief that it is our responsibility to reduce our environmental impact, behave in a socially responsible manner, and make a meaningful difference in our communities through our charitable giving and support. This internship will be critical to help keep a number of exciting and challenging CSR initiatives moving forward.
This internship position is a great opportunity for a student majoring in Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, or another related field to gain hands-on experience working in Wakefern’s Corporate Social Responsibility team. In this position, the intern will assist the Manager of CSR in developing and implementing sustainability programs through the organization at Wakefern and its member companies.
What you’ll do
- ·Assist with CSR projects and initiatives including: – Sustainable Packaging program and baseline footprint analysis – Animal Welfare program and associated research – Food waste diversion efforts and research – ShopRite Partners In Caring, ShopRite’s flagship charitable program fighting hunger insecurity – Education materials for consumers on various sustainability issues – Sustainability cost-savings best practices
- Research and communicate findings associated with sustainability issues important to the retail grocery sector
- Research and post intranet sustainability articles
What we’re looking for
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have completed 24 college credits with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or better
- Will be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate school
- Successful completion of a substance abuse test is required · Valid driver’s license and flexibility with regard to travel required · Strong MS Office skills (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and customer service skills with the ability to multitask and manage time effectively in a remote environment
- Solid writing and grammar skills as well as excellent communication skills
- Detail oriented, able to work on multiple projects, meet tight deadlines, and operate in a team environment to accomplish goals
- Ability to exhibit proper business etiquette when dealing with all levels of the organization
- Sustainability and/or Environmental Sciences majors preferred
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Internship
Pay: $15.00 – $16.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- One location
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in p