Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a Contracts Analysis Technician to join our Regional Transit Coordination Division (RTCD) in Seattle, Washington. The Regional Transit Coordination Division (RTCD) leads the coordination between WSDOT and the transit agencies in Central Puget Sound. A substantial portion of RTCD’s work is working with Sound Transit to support the delivery of expanded light rail, bus, and commuter rail infrastructure and service within and adjacent to WSDOT’s rights of way. RTCD’s work supports WSDOT’s vision of providing a safe, sustainable and integrated multimodal transportation system. This position will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams including engineers, planners, financial staff to process invoices, track general permit requests, and resolve questions associated with invoices, financial arrangements, and budgets. This opportunity offers rewarding work and excellent work/life balance. This full-time position is scheduled to last until October 31st, 2022, with a possibility for an extension in a full or part-time capacity.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Contract Analysis Technician will:
- Independently perform a variety of skilled tasks such as compiling data and calculating estimates.
- Process documents and information related to contracts and agreements.
- Track expenditures, submit invoices, and manage invoice payments using established spreadsheets and/or database systems.
- Review invoices for accurate calculations, conformance to executed agreements, and verify appropriate documentation of expenses.
- Produce reports in State accounting data systems and use Excel to track data.
- Track requests for general permits and ensure timely execution.
- Assist in the analysis of project budget estimates for compliance with scope and schedule.
- Track scope and schedule commitments related to agreements.
- Research and help write portions of documents, reports, and permits.
- Create charts and graphs to track expenses, revenues, budgets, and schedules.
- Facilitate document review and approval.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in transportation; public or business administration; engineering; accounting; or related field, OR
- Two years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent, OR
- Certification as an Engineer-in-Training
In addition to the above, the following is required:
- Proficient with Microsoft business suite software. Strong skills in Excel.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to understand and interpret written technical materials.
- Ability to use critical problem-solving skills, analytical abilities, tact, logical thinking, and tenacity to solve difficult and complex challenges.
- Strong communication skills – verbal, written and visual.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Support WSDOT’s strategic plan.
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods.
- Ability to work remotely or in the office and travel to off-site meetings and other appointments as needed.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Proficiency with more advanced capabilities of Excel.
- Experience working with, or a demonstrated ability to quickly learn, the WSDOT mainframe system TRAINS.
- Familiarity with, or a demonstrated ability to quickly learn, WSDOT accounting and program management systems.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- This position may work remotely in a telework capacity full-time with prior supervisor approval. Once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, WSDOT supports a flexible work schedule with partial telework opportunities, depending on business needs and prior supervisor approval.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-13095 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.