Students may use this internship to get 3 credits at their universities!
The Development Specialist/Grant Writer creates high-quality proposals and grant applications to sustain and expand Integrity House’s funding levels.
- Fundraising: 1 year (Preferred)
- Grant writing: 1 year (Preferred)
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position, and flexibility in work hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the core work hours and must work at least 12 hours per week.
One of the most crucial jobs for a Non-Profit agency is that of the Grant Writer. The function of a Grant Writer is to gather documentation and fulfill the necessary requirements of various funding bodies to formally seek funding on behalf of their agency. For many non-profits grants from various foundations and other funding, organizations are their life’s blood and primary funding mechanism.
While individual donors at times can make substantial contributions to non-profits working capital, it is the work of the Grant Writer that provides the largest most consistent blocks of funding for the non-profit. Different foundations and other funding organizations may have vastly different requirements to formally apply for a grant. A Grant Writer must be an excellent researcher who not only finds the funding organization whose grants match with their non-profit but also must be an astute writer who knows how to properly appeal to the funding organization’s board.
The key skills of a Grant Writer are:
- Excellent written communication skills
- Top-shelf research skills
- Ability to understand the needs of both the agency in need of funding and the organization that is offering the grant money
- Great organizational skills
- Being able to understand and execute complex instructions
- Basic computer skills
Specialized Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge:
- Proven proposal writing skills or proven strong writing skills.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines in an organized and focused manner.
- Advanced computer skills and ability to learn and multiple technologies to complete work.
- Strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, professional and enthusiastic approach.
- Team player with the flexibility to be productive in a very active, high-volume workload environment.
- Attention to detail
- Written and Oral Communication
- Capacity to perform effectively under pressure
- Task management & prioritization