STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
ATTP99-13547-Herpetology Technicians (3)-Laramie & Cody
SALARY: $15.01 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 12/04/20
CLOSING DATE: 01/20/21 11:59 PM
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking three herpetology technicians to work closely in teams of 2 to 4 people to survey for reptiles and amphibians in Wyoming. Two general herpetology technicians (May 15 – Sept. 15) will be based out of Laramie, Wyoming, and assist on a variety of amphibian and reptile inventory and monitoring projects statewide. One softshell turtle technician (April 21 – Sept. 30) will be based out of Cody, Wyoming, and assist with a project to determine the distribution, population demographics, and habitat associations of Eastern Spiny Softshell turtles in the Bighorn River drainage.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507 firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Maintain a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and be able to work well with others in a team setting.
- Use a variety of sampling techniques (visual encounter surveys, auditory surveys, hoop nets, funnel traps, dip nets, driving transects, etc.) to survey for herpetofauna throughout the state.
- Hike in rugged and remote terrain.
- Conduct field surveys and record detailed biological data.
Preference may be given to those with a high school degree plus 2 years’ experience in fish and wildlife resource management, research, or habitat development or 2 years of college coursework towards a bachelor’s degree in wildlife management, herpetology, ichthyology, biology, ecology, natural resources management, or another closely related field.
**Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Experience working in the field, conducting biological surveys, and collecting field data.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and record accurate data.
- Experience using hand-held GPS for navigation and/or data collection.
- Experience surveying for wild reptiles and amphibians preferred.
- Ability to work well with a field crew for extended periods.
- Ability to collaborate with and engage the public, private landowners, and agency personnel.
None – See “Preferences”
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May work, hike, and camp in the field with coworkers in areas with little or no cell phone coverage.
- Must be able to work independently and in remote locations throughout Wyoming.
- Will be required to work a variable schedule that at times will include long hours, weekends, and nights.
- Must be able to work long hours in waders and adverse weather conditions (e.g., hot, cold, bugs).
- Extensive travel is required.
- Periodically camp for up to 1 week at a time near field locations. A tent or camper, basic camping equipment, and other provisions will be provided while in the field.
- May be required to carry a backpack in rough terrain
- Turtle tech may be required to pull a boat trailer and operate a motorboat in river environments.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check before appointment.
- Apply on Line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm
- Cover Letter: Applicants need to attach a cover letter explaining career plans, suitability for the job, which position you are interested in, and dates of availability (start and end dates are particularly important). Please also submit 3 references. Cover letter and references may be submitted with the online application and should also be emailed directly to Wendy Estes-Zumpf, Herpetological Coordinator (Wendy.Estes-Zumpf@wyo.gov).
- CONTACT: For more information regarding these positions, contact Wendy Estes-Zumpf at Wendy.Estes-Zumpf@wyo.gov or 307-721-1380.
- Waders, rain gear, snake chaps, uniforms, and other necessary field equipment will be provided. Housing in Laramie will not be provided.
- Housing when not in the field is not provided.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department – Fish Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATTP99
Job # 13547
ATTP99-13547-HERPETOLOGY TECHNICIANS (3)-LARAMIE & CODY
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.