The Executive Housekeeper is responsible for the general administration and operation of the Housekeeping Department (Rooms, Floors, Public Area), and provides supervision, direction and leadership to ensure friendly, efficient and customer-oriented service in the Housekeeping and Laundry department. Works closely and professionally with Front Office, Maintenance, GM, suppliers and outside contractors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Conducts daily staff briefings, highlighting the following: Occupancy forecast, VIP/Group arrivals, staffing, complaints, business for the day, staff productivity and public area condition.
- Prepares monthly forecast for the housekeeping department and coordinates with Laundry for the monthly forecast for Laundry.
- Using forecasted business volume; projects staffing requirements to ensure maximum productivity.
- Attends P & L reviews and prepare rationale for variances in labor cost, printing and cleaning supplies, uniform/linen costs, and stationary costs per occupied rooms, etc.
- Attends and reports back all relevant activities for the department.
- Oversees and administers lost and found procedures, ensuring that implementation level adheres to established guidelines.
- Prepares details of guestroom and cleaning supplies, equipment, uniforms, linen and flowers for the covered year.
- Provides labor need details to Operations Manager for incorporation in the labor cost budget.
- Prepares various monthly/quarterly reports and inventories (linen, amenities, etc.) and submits to the Operations Manager on a regular basis and in a timely manner.
- Plans for additional amenities, extra bed and other equipment supplies as called for based on the volume of business.
- Carries out quality control activities and maintains/ upgrades standards by; conducting quality inspections of public areas; spot checking guestrooms, performing random quarterly quality inspection of all linen and uniforms.
- Works closely with Human Resources Department for staffing the department, and makes recommendations for promotions.
- Ensures that training objectives and activities are aligned with operations objectives.
- Discusses training priorities with Operations Manager, drafts/reviews training schedules for the month and authorizes activities, coordinates all matters pertaining to training and development.
- Personally conducts/facilitates training activities in accordance with established targets.
- Recommends appropriate developmental programs and ensures the successful implementation of training programs in the department.
- Implements appropriate scheduling and duty roster management to ensure staff on duty at any given time corresponds with expected business volume.
- Proactively look for ways to maximize the department’s output without compromising standards, handles high levels of staff turnover, which is common within the cleaning industry.
- Sets performance targets for all staff at the start of the performance period. Gives regular feedback to supervised staff on performance issues.
- Monitors staff performance and ensures documentation of both positive and negative performance indicators in preparation for the formal performance review.
- Conducts appraisal sessions for supervised staff and formally documents performance for the period using official forms, following authorized procedures and observing set timelines as disseminated by HR Department.
- Ensures that staff adheres to rules and regulations of the company by: facilitating regular reorientation for the staff; immediately communicating/updating staff on new rules/regulations; continuously monitoring implementation of rules/standards; effectively coaching/counseling and if necessary, disciplinary procedures when rules/standards are violated.
- Attends scheduled employee safety training and periodic reviews on departmental responsibilities in case of emergencies and ensures supervised staff gives full attendance as well.
- Possesses full knowledge of emergency procedures, and ensures that all supervised staff has full knowledge of emergency procedures and role of the section/department in handling such type of emergency.
- Ensures that all staff is aware of and follows required Lost and Found procedures at all times.
- Ensures that all staff is aware of guidelines governing complaints handling, and encourages staff to make decisions at customer contact, and ensure staff is aware of their established authority limits at all times.
- Executive Housekeeper must oversee and ensures timely reporting and proper maintenance of equipment in the area of assignment.
- Executive housekeeper Adheres to specified hygiene and personal appearance standards of the Hotel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of Housekeeping operations and procedures acquired through at least 2-3 years’ experience in a hospitality housekeeping supervisory position.
- Strong managerial and leadership skills (conflict resolutions, coaching, development)
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed directions to ensure proper delivery and pickup of guest baggage.
- Strong organizational and time management skills (ability to handle multiple priority’s at one time)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic computer skills.
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Work safely to ensure company equipment is secure.
- Exposure to hazardous materials, including bio-hazard and cleaning chemicals.
- Wear protective equipment as required by the job duties.
- Completes required training as it pertains to the assigned role.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Constantly listening, hearing, seeing, standing, walking, balancing, climbing, twisting, eye/hand coordination, manual dexterity, handling, wrist motion, bending/ stooping and carrying, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 75lbs and constantly pushing loaded cart weighing up to 300lbs
- Trunk Strength-The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without giving our or fatiguing.
- Static Strength-The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- Will be required to stand and walk for long periods of time and to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.