Location: New York, NY
Career Stage: Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Year Up is hosting a two-year FAO Schwarz Fellow in New York from 2021-2023. They will interact with students as an advisor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students and staff. Project work for each of the Fellowship is described below.
Applicants must be college seniors at the time of application and be available to work for the duration of the two-year Fellowship.
- Be an active member of a Learning Community of around 40 students and 10 staff members, learning and delivering core elements of the program and supporting students and staff as necessary.
- Participate in and co-facilitate interactive group exercises that foster experiential learning.
- Provide students with meaningful training sessions to prepare them for successful careers.
- Advise and mentor a small team of students.
- Assist in evaluating current retention strategies to ensure 83%+ of young adults admitted into the program persist into internships and 73%+ graduate.
- Create data systems and reports to track alumni information to provide accurate, up-to-date contact, work, and salary records.
- Work with Director of Program to ensure effective tracking and coordination of all program events and community service engagements across all YUNY/NJ site.
Compensation & Benefits
The Fellowship is a two-year commitment that pays $30,000/year plus a $2,000 bonus at the end of the second year. Benefits include professional development, health insurance and annual subway passes.
How to Apply
For more about what we are seeking, please see What We’re Looking For. Please submit one PDF that includes a cover letter and your resumé to our applicant portal here, expressing your interest in working at Year Up and your reasons for applying for the FAO Schwarz Fellowship.
You must title your document using this format:
(for example, DOE_JANE_FELLOWSHIP_APP_YEARUP).
In your cover letter, please include your responses to the following questions:
- Question 1: How did you learn about the FAO Schwarz Fellowship, and why are you interested in being a FAO Schwarz Fellow?
- Question 2: Why are you interested in being the FAO Schwarz Fellow at Year Up? Why does their mission engage you?
- Question 3: What background and experiences would you bring to the direct service and special project work at this organization?
We will review each application carefully and select our Fellow by April 28th. Thanks for your interest.
More About the FAO Schwarz Fellowship
The FAO Schwarz Fellowship is an intensive, transformative two-year experience in the world of social change designed to develop your knowledge and leadership abilities. The FAO Schwarz Fellow will engage directly with Year Up students and alumni. They will also interact with students as an advisor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students and staff. The FAO Schwarz Fellow will focus on enhancing and improving the strategies and methods we use for analyzing, retaining and engaging our current students and alumni.
About FAO Schwarz Family Foundation
The FAO Schwarz Family Foundation was established in 1990 by the descendants of Frederick A.O. Schwarz, a German immigrant who founded the beloved FAO Schwarz toy store in 1862. The Foundation continues his lifelong mission of bringing love and joy into children’s lives by supporting nonprofit organizations committed to social impact, especially in the areas of education, the environment and the arts.