Position Purpose: This position supports the work of YMCA Camp Bernie, a nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the overall direction of the Youth Development Director, Program Leaders will provide remote learning assistance and homework help to students in the Advantage Care program, and will lead engaging academic, enrichment and recreation activities with groups of students. Program Leaders will provide opportunities for students to develop and strengthen academic, physical and social skills following the program curriculum. The Advantage Care program operates on weekdays from 7am-6pm, in two shifts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Supervise, participate in, and administer recreational activities for children that are exciting, challenging and values based.
- Assist children with remote learning and homework, and guide students in their academic growth.
- Ensure safe, sanitary and orderly practices throughout the program.
- Assist in maintaining daily lessons plans and attendance.
- Supervise and instruct children on the proper use of equipment and supplies, ensuring safety of all participants at all times.
- Implement positive reinforcement and classroom management techniques to ensure the best experience for all participants.
- Interact professionally with parents, teachers, and other program staff.
- Participate in program meetings and on-going training opportunities at a minimum of 10 hours per school calendar year.
- Conduct yourself in a professional and positive manner, staying true to the YMCA mission and role model appropriate behavior.
- Any and all other added responsibilities as requested by Youth Program Director and Leadership Staff.
- Experience working with children in a school, camp, or agency setting highly desirable.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills required.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
- HS Diploma or equivalent preferred.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
a. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
b. Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in the event of an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.