Location: Avenel, NJ
Status (p/t or f/t) PT
Salary $11-$12/hr DOE
The Assistant Teacher will work with a small group of children under the coaching and supervision of a professional staff to ensure the care, safety and well being of the children assigned to her/his group. S/he will use the philosophy of the YMCA mission and the four core values (caring, honesty, respect and responsibility) to deliver and implement a program of the highest quality where every child has the opportunity to reach their fullest potential.
· Assist in supervising the group of children to which she/he is assigned (during classroom experience, during outdoor playground activities and while off the Center grounds).
· Become involved with the children in group play and outside activities.
· Assist with the nap period duties including, but not limited to; setting out and replacing cots/mats/cribs; settling the children, i.e., rubbing backs, reading stories.
· Understand & assist the teacher in implementing the curriculum and it’s assessment system.
· Have an ability to identify child abuse and have a clear understanding of reporting requirements and responsibilities.
· Be responsible for going into the pool to assist swim instructors and maintain staff:child ratio during swim lessons/activities.
· Utilize any specific abilities or talents that can enrich the children’s day care experience.
· Assist with food service (snack, lunch, special treats) and clean up the eating area.
· Support the Y’s HEPA standards by role modeling through participation in activities, snacks, & meals as well as avoiding consumption of foods & beverages during program hours that are inconsistent with HEPA standards.
· Be responsible for keeping equipment and materials clean, accessible and in good condition.
· Assist the teacher in keeping the classroom organized and neat.
· Administer first aid and supervise children’s personal hygiene.
· Assist in administration of medication under the direction of the classroom teacher.
· Assume the responsibilities of the classroom teacher during her absence, with the direction and support of the director.
· Assist in the preparation of materials for daily activities.
· Be responsible for daily paperwork (i.e. accident reports, unusual incident reports) needed to maintain state code.
· Assist in all bathroom procedures, diapering, potty training, hand washing, etc.
· Attend all staff meetings when necessary and contribute to the meetings.
· Support the center/association by participating in community events as requested by the Supervisor.
· Be required to maintain a current CPR & First Aid Certification as well as attend workshops presented during “Center Shut Down”.
· Encouraged to attend other forms of professional training during the year.
· Be responsible for understanding and emulating the four core values.
· Be responsible for accurately recording time worked using the time management system provided on a daily basis.
· High school diploma or its equivalent.
· Previous child care experience or related experience.
· Some credits or classes in education or early childhood education a plus.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· CPR and Standard First Aid preferred – will train
PHYSICAL REQURIEMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal amounts of walking, standing, sitting, running, jumping, lifting, pushing, pulling, speaking, reading, and writing found in a school age child care environment.